Saturday, March 7, 2009

Weekend Update - March 7

We are still at NYU for two reasons. The first is the infection that caused her to spike a fever last weekend. The second is her low blood counts. We think we've treated the infection completely and should be finishing up the antibiotics within a couple days. The blood counts are showing signs of beginning to improve, but Isabella is still severely neutropenic (very low white cells), although her counts have come up slightly. Her platelets continuously drop slowly, but her nosebleeds are getting fewer and stop more quickly. Yesterday, an ENT doctor (that's ear-nose-throat for us non-medical folks!) came by to cauterize one of the ulcerations in Isabella's nose. This seems to have helped her nosebleeds.

The plan so far is to finish up the antibiotics maybe by Tuesday. If her white cell counts improve, we can start another round of stem cell harvesting perhaps on Wednesday. She is scheduled to start Cycle 4 of chemo next Saturday, but that is really dependent on her blood counts being at a certain level. Last cycle was delayed a week to allow her counts to recover better, and that could be the case again this time. If it is delayed, we would then possibly be able to go home next weekend, for a few days before we start Cycle 4.

Otherwise, Isabella is feeling great and eating well. Because she is neutropenic, she's not allowed to leave the room, so we have to try to entertain ourselves. Her new game now is Uno.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message for Isabella.